Friday 16 April 2010

Guacamole


I can get stuck in a rut. When I go out to a restaurant I often order the same thing every time I'm at that restaurant. I figure that if I know I like that particular meal then why not go with something I know I like instead of risking not liking something as much and then being disappointed. Sad, I know. So imagine my surprise when I decided to try a new guacamole recipe after making it for the first time in my life just a few months ago.

I would not consider myself a huge guacamole connoisseur. I love avocados, I just haven't made a lot of guacamole. I think the fact that just in the last few months I have finally started cooking with raw onions is a big part of this. Before this last year any recipe that used raw onions I tended to shy away from. I'm still not a huge fan of onions but I seem to be better able to tolerate them if they are chopped very, very small. So, back to the guacamole.

I had a get together a few weeks ago and I decided to be daring and try a new recipe. I think it's always fun to try a new recipe when you have many other tasters available, but it can also backfire on you and taste absolutely disgusting and then you feel totally embarrassed. I decided to take the risk so I typed "world's best guacamole recipe" into my computer and I found this website, Raw Food Hypocrite. What I thought was great about this particular post is that the writer summarized what ingredients go in most guacamole and then linked to their top five guacamole recipes. I tried the number one recipe and have to agree that it is a winner.

The only change I made to the original recipe was using dry cayenne pepper instead of the Texas Champagne cayenne pepper, and then experimenting with the amount of cilantro I added. Enjoy!


World's Best Guacamole
Source: Cooking.com

3 ripe avocados, peeled and pitted
juice of 1 lime
1 medium ripe tomato, diced
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
4 dashes cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon sugar
salt to taste
parsley, chopped fine (optional garnish)

Mash the avocados in a bowl with a fork until slightly lumpy. Stir in the lime juice, tomato, cilantro, onion, and garlic. Add the cayenne pepper, cumin, sugar, and salt. Mix well. Sample and add more seasonings if desired. (Make sure you sample with the chips you will serve it with; sometimes chips can be more salty than others and that can change the taste of your guacamole.)

Cover the bowl and chill or let sit at room temperature for about an hour to let the flavors blend.

No comments:

Post a Comment