Friday 19 February 2010

Rugelach

I was pretty sure that I posted this before, when we first learned how to make rugelach, but I can never find it when I go looking. I made these again last night for the....like, 50th time or something, in the two and half years since I learned how! We all love rugelach.

Apricot Rugelach

1 cup butter, softened
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup sour cream (optional)
apricot jam (can use another flavor jam, raspberry is good too)
currants or raisins
cinnamon sugar

Cream butter and cream cheese together, preferably in a heavy-duty mixer. Add salt, flour, and sour cream. Mix just until the dough comes together, then divide into four pieces and shape into disks. Refrigerate for an hour or more.

Roll each disk into a neat 8-inch circle, then spread with a thin layer of jam. Sprinkle with a few currants or raisins, then sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top. Cut into 8 wedges. Roll each wedge up starting at the wide edge, leaving a pointy end at the top. Place each piece on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 until lightly golden. Enjoy while still warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment