Wednesday 19 January 2011

Orange Honey Bread

 

You may have noticed a lack of sweet treat recipes posted lately, except for those super yummy cinnamon rolls for breakfast on Christmas day. I can't remember if in an earlier post I mentioned that I am fasting from sugar for a period of time. It was during this time of fasting that I went searching for a quick bread recipe where I could use a substitute for sugar. When I am fasting I typically just stay away from anything that even uses substitutes for sugar since it is kind of the principal of the thing that I am fasting for, but this time I gave in to my desires to bake a loaf of bread while my boys were out playing in the snow one afternoon.

This particular recipe makes a very tasty quick bread. It has a great combination of flavors with both the honey and the orange competing for the dominant flavor. I also like the walnuts spread throughout to give each slice a bit of crunch and texture. The only thing I didn't really like about this bread was that it dried out within a few days, even though it was wrapped in plastic. Enjoy!

Orange Honey Bread
Source: Diana's Kitchen

2 tablespoons butter
1 cup honey
1 egg, well beaten
1 1/2 tablespoons grated orange peel
2 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup orange juice
3/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts

Cream butter and honey together until smooth and creamy. Add beaten egg and grated orange peel. Sift flour with baking powder, soda, and salt. Add flour mixture to creamed mixture alternately with orange juice. Add the chopped nuts. 

Bake in a greased and floured 9x5x3-inch loaf pan at 325� for 60 to 70 minutes, or until a wooden pick or cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
Serve with butter or a mixture of cream cheese and orange marmalade, if desired.


No comments:

Post a Comment