Saturday 30 April 2011

Peeps S'Mores


 
Yes, that is a photo of the finished product! If you�ve ever had a S�more you know that they traditionally consist of graham crackers, a piece of a chocolate bar, and a toasted marshmallow or two. I have heard of others who change up an ingredient or two but not me. I am a traditionalist when it comes to S�mores. It has to be one whole graham cracker, � of a Hershey chocolate bar, and two toasted marshmallows. That has always been my recipe for S�mores. That is until now.

My friend (thanks, Sheila!) linked to a posting of someone who made S�mores using a Peeps chick in place of the marshmallows. Since we happen to be out camping while the Peeps are available I thought this would be a great opportunity to try it out.
 
Doesn�t it look like the chick is staring at me begging me not to put him in my S�more? 

 
He wasn�t so lucky, as you can see. After his toasting he almost looks a bit more like a rubber ducky, huh. I guess the caramelizing of his sugar gave him that look. And the poor guys� eyes are gone and his beak is a toasty brown.

Have I become a convert of Peeps S�mores? Nope, not a chance. I found that while they were certainly the same sugary sweet as a traditional S�more, the marshmallow peep either didn�t get hot enough or wasn�t big enough to even start melting the chocolate bar. And I have to say I love my chocolate bar oozing out of the graham cracker along with the toasted marshmallow. So, it was fun for a change of pace but we�ll be sticking with the traditional S�more around this campsite. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment